Have you been hearing a lot about the impact mobile has had on marketing? Are you starting to look for some places to start but not sure where to begin?
By now you are well aware that mobile marketing is no longer just a trend. These devices are here to stay and are not only changing the way your guests communicate, but also how they make buying decisions.
We compiled this list to emphasize the impact mobile will have on your marketing strategy and possibly use these stats to help you prioritize your mobile marketing efforts.
Mobile Industry Stats
1) By 2015, 81% of U.S. cell users will have smartphones (Source: Goldman Sachs)
2) By 2013, 54% of all phones globally will be smartphones. (Source: IHS iSuppli)
3) 78% of guests say they carry and use their mobile devices all the time while traveling. (Source: eMarketer)
4) 25% of international media and marketing executives see mobile as the most disruptive force in their industry. (Source: AdMedia Partners)
5) Mobile internet usage is projected to overtake desktop internet usage by 2014. (Source: Microsoft Tag)
6) 55% of mobile owners access mobile web daily. (Source: Pew Research Center, 2012)
7) 74% of consumers will wait 5 seconds for a web page to load on their mobile device before abandoning the site. (Source: Gomez)
8) 61% of customers who visit a mobile unfriendly site are likely to go to a competitor’s site. (Source: IAB)
9) If all US mobile internet time was condensed into an hour, 25 minutes of it would be spent on email. (Source: Return Path)
10) Mentioning a location in mobile ads and search results can increase click-through rates up to 200%. (Source: ThinkNear)
11) 17% of people make a purchase after a mobile search. (Source: Vocus)
12) 53% of American consumers use their smartphones to access search engines at least once a day (Source: Google)
13) Search queries from tablet increased by 23% after Christmas day 2012. (Source: MobileWebRockstar)
14) 4 out of 5 consumers use smartphones to shop. (Source: comScore, 2012)
15) 34% have made a purchase using their mobile phone compared to 19 percent in 2011 (Source: DC Financial Insights, 2012).
16) Mobile booking to grow from 11.9 million bookers in 2012 to 36.3 million in 2016. (Source: eMarketer)
Mobile Social Media
17) Over 1/3 of Facebook’s users access Facebook Mobile; 50% of Twitter’s users use Twitter Mobile. (Source: Microsoft Tag)
18) 60% of Facebook posts and 90% tweets are all conducted from a mobile device. (Source: ATC)
19) By 2015 brands will be generating 50% of their web sales through social media and mobile platforms with a projection of $30 Billion (Source: TheSocialSkinny)
21) Time spent with mobile apps starting to challenge television: consumers are spending 127 minutes per day in mobile apps–up 35 percent from 94 minutes a day in the same time last year–and spend 168 minutes watching television per day. (Source: Flurry)
22) 64% of mobile phone time is spent on apps. (Source: Nielsen)
23) Revenue from in-app purchases continued to grow in 2012 — from 53% in January on the App Store to 69% in November. (Source: CNNMoney)
24) There are now more than 400 million accounts with registered credit cards in the App Store. (Source: Mashable)
25) iOS monthly revenues are 4x those of Google Play. (Source: AppAnnie)
Mobile has outpaced every other form of technology. In the very near future, mobile will not be an option and your guests will begin to hold this as a standard.
Has mobile forced you to change your marketing strategy? What have you done to engage your guests on their mobile devices? Let us know in the comment section below!
If you liked this article sure to “Like” us on Facebook for more on hospitality how-to’s, trends and insight!